Antique Safes/Old safe

Question
Barnes safe
Barnes safe  
I bought an old safe  without the combination. There are some numbers scratched into the door I think might be the combination. I was wondering if you could tell me what the dialing pattern should be. The dial says Barnes on the knob and has a Patton July 2 1907 October 13 1908. I know this is not much info but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Answer
Hi Frank,

The lock on your safe is either a C62 series or more likely the follow up 6810 series Sargent & Greenleaf (S&G) lock.

The dialing sequence for the lock should be:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time left until the dial stops - should be between 80-90.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial clockwise (right) stopping the fifth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

There are about 100,000,000 possible combinations for this lock, though with the first 20 numbers missing, this somewhat limits it down to about 41 million possible combinations.   Testing 500 combinations each and every day will only take about 225 years to test them all, so hopefully the numbers written on the safe are the correct ones - though they may not be in the correct order.

If you can't get it open using the numbers you have available, and don't want to turn this into a really long family project, I would recommend contacting a local SAFE Company (not a locksmith) to have their trained safe technician open the safe for you.   Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for nearby companies.    If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)