Antique Safes/Open safe

Question
QUESTION: I have a reliable safe. The door was open but combo was lost. Took off the inner panel and figured out the combo. The combo got thrower away before I could stash it some where. So right know the door is closed and locked.I am trying to remember the combo. I tried  several combos with thenumbers I remember but no luck. Can you tell me where to drill the little hole so I can get the door open

ANSWER: Hi Craig,

No!    We do not provide ANY opening information other than proper dialing instructions for the lock installed for obvious security and liability reasons.

We have no way of knowing what your relationship to the safe is and/or whether or not you have authorization to work on it.     For all we know you could have stolen the safe and want info on opening it up.

Sorry, but this is a standard policy that pretty much EVERY safe person or company is going to have, for the same reasons.

The only thing I can offer you, is if you don't have a local safe company to use, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

If you don't have and/or need the correct dialing instructions for this lock, let me know.   I would be happy to provide it to you, however as stated, we do not provide ANY other opening techniques or drill points.

Sorry,

QUESTION: First of all this safe has been in my family since the early 1900's. Is has my Great grandfathers name painted right on the top front side of the safe.  As stated in previous e-mail that the safe has been open for many years. We had to move out of the hidden room where it was and now it is out by the side of the  tv in my mom's house.I really am hurt saying that you said I could have stolen the safe. There is nothing in the safe. When I googled reliable safe company, I  read an article about you giving some one advise about drilling a hole in the safe to find the combination.MY zip code is 18405. I know the dial direction of 4 to left and 3 to right and 2 to left and 1 to right. I had the inner panel off so I see exactly how the levers work. I am trying to remember the numbers. When the door was open and I had the inner panel off, I had played with it for several hours playing the combo so I could get the exact numbers. Maybe you can find some one in the area. I have not really tried to look for anybody yet. I guess i will have to unless you have another idea to try.

Answer
Hi Craig,

Sorry that you misunderstood my comments.   I didn't accuse you of anything, what I said was that I have no way of knowing who you are or what your relationship to the safe is.    The policy stands, again for obvious security and liability reasons.   This is a general purpose forum to answer general questions about safes.    It wouldn't matter if you were a licensed and registered locksmith or safe technician - the answer would still be the same.

Part of the problem with opening safes or security equipment is having the correct knowledge and tools so that the job can be done without ruining the safe.

I had a very similar conversation with a locksmith who was working on a fairly simple safe this afternoon and had no idea what he was doing.    He was actually charging the customer for his work, yet he was trying to learn at the same time as he had no clue how to proceed.   I wouldn't give him any drill points for the same reason stated above.

Here are the names of a couple companies that I would recommend in your area, while both of them are about 50 miles away, they are the closest guys that I know of and/or would recommend.   If the cost to have them come to you is too expensive, you might be able to take the safe to them.   This could safe a big chunk of change.

Torbik Safe & Lock
570-825-0013          Lee Torbik
575 S Main St.
Wilkes-Barre, PA   18701

Bill's Lock, Safe & Security
(973) 697-1011        Bill Kushnick
88 Wildwood Rd
Oak Ridge, NJ   07438

Please don't misunderstand my comments as the same passion that is getting you to work on the safe is what got me started 44 years ago.    I understand what you are trying to do, but I hope that you understand some of the legal issues that prevent me from providing certain info.    We aren't trying to hide anything, however if someone did use the info to illegally break into the safe, we would share some of the legal responsibility.

Good luck with the safe, and again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)