Antique Safes/Removing antique Mosler safe from 2nd floor

The previous owner of my house left an antique Mosler safe in an upstairs bedroom. It is in the way, and I want it out! I contacted a local safe sales and moving company, but they refused even to consider the job due to the size of the safe and fear of damaging the home. I'll admit I'm somewhat worried about the structural integrity of the home as well, since it was built in 1918. I'm at a loss as to where to turn next.

The safe measures approximately 34" H (including wheels) x 24" W x 24" D. Zip code is 13421. Do you know anybody in this area? Any "outside the box" ideas, or something I'm overlooking? There are two large windows in the room if a crane or something like that is a possibility.

Thank you.

Jennifer, I have totally dismembered a Mosler safe much larger than that one for a similar reason, and have installed much larger safes through 2nd floor windows in commercial buildings.  Both are viable solutions, although I would lean toward the latter.  Winching the safe downstairs is also usually an option.   Typically, 1918 home construction was not light duty so I am not exactly sure where the problem is.  But then again, I am not there. Call a rigging company out of Syracuse if you can't find anyone closer.     Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place