Antique Safes/Victor safe

I just bought a old victor safe. The locking device is a yale tumbler.Numbers on safe are  Locking Device # 139699  Cat # 2560B   Safe # 291510  Not sure what this # is 1Y72445 I would like to restore this safe. Need to know if I can remove the hinge pins and change the combination

Hi Brent,

There were basically TWO Victor safe companies.   The first - Victor Safe & Lock Co., was in business from about 1885 until it was acquired by The Safe Cabinet Company in 1920.    The name was changed to Victor Safe & Equipment Company.    Both companies were acquired by Rand-Kardex in 1925.    Rand-Kardex merged with the Remington Typewriter Company in 1926 and the name was changed to Remington-Rand.    After a merger in 1955 with the Sperry Corporation, to become Sperry-Rand, all manufacturing of safes was ceased.

The numbers you have provided off the labels or tags on the safe have nothing to do with the safe itself, other than to indicate the "standards" the safe met.   These are either UL or SMNA labels from testing agencies.

While the door can be removed from the hinges, the pins may be pressed in place and may not be removable.   Without actually seeing the hinges (hands on), I can't tell you if they are removable or not.    You will have to determine whether or not they are pressed on, or part of the supporting hinge.

Yes the combination can be changed on the Yale lock, however as this is a "hand change" type lock, and will require complete disassembly I do not recommend it as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and/or tools can result in a very expensive lockout.    I recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe company reset or change the combination.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada