Antique Safes/Cyprus & Price Antique steel safe

Question
Hi i have a similar question about the safe
it has the same plate on the front
i think it is steel and approx. 1 ton

Prize Medal London 1862. C.PRICE and CO.PATENT. Fire Proof Safe and Lock Manufacturers. Wolverhampton. RegD.Trade Mark 1870.
can i please send you a couple pictures if you have any info about it and maybe a valuation?
thanks
Mike

Answer
Hi Mike,

that would be an AWFULLY big safe. to be between 2000 to 2200 lbs (depends on which TON you are referring to).

I would be more than happy to look at the safe for you, however any appraisal that I provide would be based on what I believe the safe would go for in the US - specifically the west coast or California.    Prices or values in South Africa could be MUCH different.     I would recommend that you check with local antique dealers to see what similar safes might go for.

As these safes were pretty much only shipped throughout the UK or areas of British influence, these safes tend to have lower values in these areas due to the numbers of available safes.   In areas like the US where there are very few of them, values tend to be much higher.

One website that I would recommend your checking out would be:   www.siaholdsafe.com

David and Desmond Siah have a shop in Singapore that specializes in these older British and European safes.    You might want to check with them for an appraisal as well, as they may have a better handle on values in your area.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)