Antique Safes/the safe cabinet standard M E type

Question
manufactur name
manufactur name  

inside look
inside look  
Hi Terry,

I am about to purchase this safe from an ebay type of deal for my office. Just to keep untyped checks in etc. How do I go about changing the combo, and/or where can i find a users manual?

Answer
Hi Rachel,

Hopefully you haven't purchased it yet as I have some bad news for you.   First this cabinet doesn't meet any current standards for fire resistance and it isn't a burglary resistive safe.
Second, these safes were known to have asbestos installed as an insulation media.   

There are no "manuals" for safes or changing combinations.    Manufactures never provided these nor did they expect safe owners to reset their own combinations.    As the lock on this safe is a hand change lock, it will require disassembly and re-assembly to reset the combination.    I never recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project.

I would recommend that you contact a local safe company, if you actually buy the safe, to have the combination reset.

While I understand that the price for this safe may be very appeasing when compared to a new safe, I would recommend that you may want to keep on looking, unless you don't have a problem with any of the safes shortfalls.

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local safe company.    If you don't have any nearby, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)