Antique Safes/T.withers&son safe

Question
Safe
Safe  
Hi mike I sent you the pics threw I was wandering if you can tell me some info on the safe I found it in my house I have just got its open we don't have a key that is a shame as I would have loved to have used it for my self thanks Ben

Answer
Hello Ben,

Thank you for sending me the picture of your Thomas Withers safe.  

The entire Withers family were engaged in safe making over many years and there were four distinct companies bearing the Withers name; George withers, Jesse Withers, Thomas Withers and Samuel Withers.  However George and Jesse soon vanished and Thomas and Samuel Withers are the best known, both claiming to have been established in 1855.

Your Thomas Withers Safe is referred to as 'square cornered'.  Because hydraulic steel presses had not yet been invented, these safes were made from separate mild steel sheets riveted onto an angle-iron frame creating sharp 90 degree corners, hence the name.  By 1880 this type of safe was no longer manufactured so your safe is at least 136 years old.  The body cavity is filled with sand and sawdust to provide some basic fire resistance.

Because these riveted safes are so easily forced open, they should no longer be used to secure cash or valuables.  Also the sand and sawdust will have compacted and leaked over the years leaving large voids in the insulation through which heat could transmit, so they should not be used to secure important documents either.

Today their use is largely decorative.  Yours is a nice example and slightly different as I have never seen a keyhole escutcheon with this moon and stars motif.  

Ancient Thomas Withers safes frequently appear on Ebay but don't fetch a great deal.  I would think you would be lucky to get more than 140 for it.  However, it is an interesting piece of late Victorian history and if I were you I would get a local Master Locksmith to call and cut a new key or replace the lock.  It will cost a few bob but it would be a nice thing to keep.

You can find a locksmith with safe engineering services by going onto the MLA website, www.locksmiths.co.uk

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer