Antique Safes/Vault door restoration

Question
Hi Terry,
I'm restoring a bank vault door from the 1900's and have a lot of rust. Do you know if it would be safe to use some of "Barn Keeper Friends" to clean the rust before I do sanding?
Thank you
Alex

Answer
Hi Alex,

I believe you mean "Bar Keepers Friend".    This product is suppose to remove rust, however I've never used it so I can't say how well it will work and more importantly it WILL depend on how bad or deep the damage actually is.

You can also use a rust killer or rust converter, which will chemically change the rust into a protective chemical barrier.     Once the rust is neutralized it can be cleaned off and the surface sanded or polished.

Deeply pitted surfaces may not resurface correctly and may always show signs of the original rust.    If you can't get the surface to look new or original, it can be painted to help cover or blend in the scaring - depends on the amount of surface damage.

Really badly damaged surfaces may need to be "re-skinned" with new stainless steel, though this would be a fairly expensive prospect if you had to do the whole door.

If you try the Bar Keepers Friend, let me know how well it works.

Good luck with your project.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)