Antique Safes/Victor safe

Question
Hi!  I have a victor safe from around 1890. I'm sure it has only sentimental value as it was in my dad's office for as long as I can remember. I need to know approximately how much it weighs before I can put it in my house.  We have a crawl space and I don't want it falling through the floor.  It's 48 inches tall by about 31 inches wide and 28 inches deep

Thanks so much for any info you can give.

Laura

Answer
Hi Laura,

First question is where did you come up with the 1890 date????    Other than the date the company was founded and/or a "patent issue date", dates of manufacture were not put on the safes, and as there are no records from the manufacturer, the best we can establish would be a time period (3-5 years).

As far as "weight" of the container it will depend upon the type of safe you have and its construction.    Safes were built either as fire resistive, burglary resistive or composite - both!    The weight will depend on what you have.

Assuming that it is only a fire resistive safe, based on the sizes you provided, I would have to assume that it is going to be around 1000 lbs (800 to 1200 lbs).     

Safes that have no wheels and sit flat on the floor disburse the weight over "square footage" as opposed to safes which sit on wheels and disburse it over "square inches".    While the weight overall is still the same, the pin point amount of weight placed on the floor at the castors can make the safe fail in THAT area.    Spreading the weight out over a large area will allow you to set the safe on the floor without worrying about it as much.    Generally floors are rated for about 300 to 400 lbs per square foot in the weakest part of the floor - the center of the room.    Along the walls, the floors generally have more support, and so can carry more load.   

Based on the measurements you provided, your safe covers about 5.1 square feet, which would allow the floor to support around 1500 lbs before needing to have additional supports in place.   The larger the area that is reinforced the less problems you will have.    For instance placing a sheet of 1" thick plywood (or sheet steel) on the floor, that is larger than the safe (36"x24" -  about 6 square feet) will provide more than enough support, and you won't have to worry about damage to the floor.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)