Antique Safes/'The Walker Safe Co. Inc.'

Question
Safe Front
Safe Front  

Safe Lock Yale
Safe Lock Yale  
Hello Andy, I was looking for any information on this safe co and maybe help with identification of the safe itself.  The only writing i can seem to find is on the front stamped into the metal. The lock is a Yale Combination with a T handle.

"The Walker Safe Co. Inc. 388 Broadway New York"  

It has been in my apartment sense the building was built, was told it was lifted in by forklift as I am on the second floor.  My landlord has no idea what the combination would be and has allowed me to try and open it!
Googling did not turn up much information, mostly ads/yellowpages from the early 1900's.

Thanks in advance for your help- Randall

Answer
Hi Randall,

First off, you do not have a "Walker Safe Co." safe.    While this company may have sold the safe at some point, they were NOT a manufacturer.

Your safe appears to be from the Syracuse Safe Company, Syracuse, NY.   Syracuse Safe Co., manufactured safes from about 1885 to the early 1930's.   The company incorporated in 1904.   They used the Phoenix Foundry and Machine Company during the early 1900's to make safes.

Unfortunately we won't be able to accurately ID what you have until after the safe is opened as many of the photos I'll need to see would be from items inside the door and safe.

You might check with some local safe companies to get some idea of the cost to have the safe opened and repaired.   A fair price to have it opened and repaired, without damaging the safe or lock and to have the combination recovered would be in the $400 to $500 range - TOTAL cost.   

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Note:   While manipulation is possible it may not be probable.   You may not have anyone in your area skilled in this art, and you WILL be paying for the service and not the result.   The lock that I would expect to find on this safe would be the Yale OB or OBB series.  Photos I checked showed both types.    The OB version was the 4 wheel lock and the OBB version was the three wheel type.
    Drilling is also a very viable option.   When done correctly it will NOT damage the safe or the lock and the single, small hole (usually smaller than 1/4" can easily be repaired  and returned to service, with no damage.

The dialing sequence for the three wheel version (most common) is:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the second number,
1 time, slowly right until the dial stops - Turn Handle to open.

Note 1:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the rotations of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

At this point you have two options, either:
1.   Test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that may be on this lock, or
2.   Contact a local safe company to have their trained safe tech open the safe.

Hopefully this helps somewhat and gives you a starting point for getting the safe opened.    Afterwards you can get some restoration work done on it and have a wonderful display item or conversation piece.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)