Antique Safes/antique safe

Question
would you know the value of a safe the gold plate on the front of it says standard L. E. Safe cabinet co Marietta Ohio made in the early 1900

Answer
Hi Julie,

I would be happy to look at your safe for you, however the safe isn't as old as you think.

The Safe Cabinet Company began in about 1904.   They began using this name about 1909.   They were acquired by Remington-Rand in 1926.   In 1955 when Remington-Rand merged with the Sperry Corporation to become Sperry-Rand, all safe manufacturing ceased.   Your safe was most likely made in the 1930's or 40's.

Safes with the initials "L.E. / M.E. or H.E." weren't made until the late 1920's through the early 1950's.    These initials stand for

L.E. =  Light Exposure / fire resistive
M.E. =  Medium Exposure / fire resistive
H.E. =  Heavy Exposure / fire resistive.

Note:   This manufacturer was a known user of asbestos as an insulation medium.

These safes have little to no value.   They are not antique, they are not collectible.    They do not meet any current standards for fire resistance and they are not burglary resistive.    
Because of the possibility of asbestos in the insulation, you also have several other issues that you need to check into.    Rules and laws may vary from state to state.

Asbestos is considered a HAZMAT item.    Most states have very specific rules (and penalties) for failure to comply with rules concerning - Transportation of, Sales of, or Disposal of items containing Asbestos.

As long as the safe remains sealed - no holes in the walls of the safe, the asbestos is contained and doesn't pose an immediate hazard to people.    Asbestos is only dangerous when it becomes airborne AND is inhaled.

Assuming that the safe is still sealed and in useable condition, it can still be used for general purpose storage of items that may need a minimum amount of fire resistance.    I would not recommend its use in an office or home where numerous people may come in contact with it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.    If you have any other specific questions about your safe I would be happy to address them.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)