Antique Safes/Haskelite air tight clothes vault

Question
Do you know or have any idea if a haskelite clothes vault from 1923 is worth anything I have been searching high and low and can't find anything

Answer
Hi Jason,

I am familiar with most styles of fur vaults, and must admit that I've only seen a few of this particular variety before.   A little research indicates that this company was selling this product from around 1920 through at least the late 30's or possibly early 1940's.   While these particular containers were advertised as being moth proof, they were also billed as being fire resistant and burglary resistant (typical home burglars ONLY), though these were not actually built as "safes".   Most of these were actually known as a "Plymetl Clothes vault", made by Haskelite Manufacturing Co.    Haskelite also owned several patents for chemical type insecticides, designed to kill or prevent moths and other insects which may be detrimental to silks and furs.

Most fur vaults are rather large, actual plate steel safes, where the Haskelite appears to be more of a smaller, thin sheet metal fire resistant container or cabinet.   Generally Fur Vaults were designed for merchants, protecting larger quantities of furs which were usually for sale.   Your container would have been for an individual user in their home and not designed for commercial use.    Having the word "VAULT" in the name or description does not actually make it a safe or vault!

As far as evaluating it, as it isn't a safe, any value I place upon it would be rather low.   It does not meet ANY criteria that I look at for evaluation.   My recommendation would be to contact appraisers that deal in antique or older clothing to see if they have any ideas.

As far as selling it, I'm not sure I would recommend offering it for sale until you have it appraised.   While I do not consider a "safe" to be antique unless it is over 100 years of age, I would still consider this item to be collectible, to someone interested in clothing.

Again, as this is NOT an actual safe OR a vault, it is outside of my area of expertise.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)