Antique Safes/Haskelite air tight clothes vault

Do you know or have any idea if a haskelite clothes vault from 1923 is worth anything I have been searching high and low and can't find anything

Hi Jason,

I am familiar with most styles of fur vaults, and must admit that I've only seen a few of this particular variety before.   A little research indicates that this company was selling this product from around 1920 through at least the late 30's or possibly early 1940's.   While these particular containers were advertised as being moth proof, they were also billed as being fire resistant and burglary resistant (typical home burglars ONLY), though these were not actually built as "safes".   Most of these were actually known as a "Plymetl Clothes vault", made by Haskelite Manufacturing Co.    Haskelite also owned several patents for chemical type insecticides, designed to kill or prevent moths and other insects which may be detrimental to silks and furs.

Most fur vaults are rather large, actual plate steel safes, where the Haskelite appears to be more of a smaller, thin sheet metal fire resistant container or cabinet.   Generally Fur Vaults were designed for merchants, protecting larger quantities of furs which were usually for sale.   Your container would have been for an individual user in their home and not designed for commercial use.    Having the word "VAULT" in the name or description does not actually make it a safe or vault!

As far as evaluating it, as it isn't a safe, any value I place upon it would be rather low.   It does not meet ANY criteria that I look at for evaluation.   My recommendation would be to contact appraisers that deal in antique or older clothing to see if they have any ideas.

As far as selling it, I'm not sure I would recommend offering it for sale until you have it appraised.   While I do not consider a "safe" to be antique unless it is over 100 years of age, I would still consider this item to be collectible, to someone interested in clothing.

Again, as this is NOT an actual safe OR a vault, it is outside of my area of expertise.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada