Antique Safes/How old is this safe?

Question
Old Safe
Old Safe  

Old Safe 2
Old Safe 2  
I know very little about this safe and would like to know how old it is. There is no marking on it that I can find. However, the key says Yale & Towne from Stamford Conn. The inside of the safe is lined with wood perhaps walnut. The measurements are 7 1/4" x 10 1/4" x 10 3/4". The door and lock work perfectly with no hang ups. The safe weighs 26 1/2 pounds. The door and face of the safe appear to be original paint. The sides and bottom look like they have been repainted red. Besides the age I would also like to know the value of this piece. I am sorry I have so little information for you. Perhaps you have seen a similar safe and know when they were made. Any info you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thank You.

Answer
Hi Ed,

Your little container is NOT a safe.    This would have been an interior security compartment - INSIDE of a regular safe.

For some reason someone removed it and "re-purposed it" for I don't know what!   

As far as it's age - there is no way of telling as it is not with its parent container.  Yale & Towne Manufacturing changed their name to Yale & Towne of Stamford, Conn in the early 1900's - so the LOCK would be from possibly 1905-1930ish.

As far as value - if you are trying to sell it, pick a number that you would be happy with - $50-$100, however it has NO value as a safe or security container.

Because we have no way to actually ID who made the container and as the original safe is missing, it's basically an "unknown" - which WILL affect its value.    Few people are going to be willing to buy something like this without some kind of knowledge about it.    The fact that it came out of some old safe, without any other knowledge is more of a negative value than a positive value.

Note:   There are many old safes out there that have the interior cabinetry damaged or missing.    Someone with a safe in this condition MAY be looking for a container like this to put their safe back together / restoration.

Sorry, I know that this isn't the answer that you were looking for.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)