Antique Safes/Remington Safe

vault door
vault door  
Hi Terry,

I have been tasked to rig a vault door and they want to keep it as a decorative item. It is a remington and sherman co vault door. I was wondering if you could provide me with any information on this. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi John,

The door may be around 30,000 lbs.   The crane hinge, frame and door jamb may be another 30,000 lbs.   Generally these door and the frames are concreted or grouted in place.     The door and frame are designed to be removed as a single unit, so demolition work would be necessary to remove all of the concrete holding it in place.   If you elect to remove the door individually and then the frame as a separate unit you can do this but it is a lot of work.

removing these doors is a very special project, needing special equipment.    My recommendation would be to contact a safe & vault company that has training and experience in removal or installation of these doors.

If they don't have it removed, then it is fairly easy for a trained safe technician to deactivate the lock, so the door cannot be locked.    This doesn't mean the bolt work and pressure bar system can't still be operated, it just can't be locked.

Hope this helps,

Thank you for getting back to me. The vault is located in the basement and the owner would like to keep the door as an art piece, but they want it located in the other end of the building. Any information on the weights or removal process for this particular vault would be helpful. I have been told they estimate it at 30,000 lbs. I have gone to the Boston Public Library and hope to get the records on the building next week. I hope to find something there. If you have any more advice or info it would be very appreciated.

Hi JW,

Iím not sure what info you are looking for and/or what ďriggingĒ you are planning on.

Iím assuming that you may be trying to remove the door for disposal????

As far as info that is available Ė pretty much there isnít any, if you are looking for manufacturers specifications and/or installation drawings, blueprints etc.    these donít exist.    The patent info is usually very sketchy as well.

This company was in business making safes and vault doors from about 1892 until around 1941.

What other info are you looking for???

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada