Antique Safes/Is this a safe???

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe2
Safe2  
We moved into a house that was built in 1907. The neighbors asked us if "that safe was still in the basement". Apparently the man that lived here said it was too heavy and was never going to leave this house. Eventually his wife divorced him and threw all his belongings outside. It would make sense that the safe was still here if his belongings were all left outside for him. We found this square EXTREMELY heavy block that we think might be the safe? Appears as if someone has already tried breaking into unsuccessfully. (Maybe the ex wife was trying to get what the husband had in there? Or maybe he was the one trying to break into it in the first place). The neighbor said that he helped the guy get the safe into the house when he got it. They lived here 30 years.
So now we've been working on it too. I'm not sure how many images I can attach on here, so I'll describe it the best I can... It seems to be possibly concrete or something like it that is encased by metal. There are round things on the front that appear to be the combination dial or something? The second to smallest circle spins left and right. We have been chipping away at the concrete and IF it is a safe, it's in the shape of a bell kind of; like a cylinder that kind of balloons out towards the innermost part of the cement block it's encased by. There is a symbol on it that is a rounded triangle with like 3 or 4 smaller triangles inside it. Otherwise, no markings at all on the outside.

Answer
Hi Sarah,

Well, yes it was a safe, at some point!    Most of the necessary parts to make it functional like the hinges, handles, dials, etc. all appear to be missing.

I don't know what the symbols might be, off the top of my head.    Manufacturers many times had manufacturing symbols to help them keep items straight and/or reference what safe they were made for.   Unfortunately most of these items don't mean anything to anyone else, and as many of the factories have gone out of business, there are no records which might help us figure out what they were for and/or to.

It's a great story, and looks like you guys (gals) are having a great treasure hunt.    Not to pour cold water on the idea, however - in general - people do not abandon safes with stuff inside!    With possibly the exception being a death in the family, we simply don't find safes, abandoned with valuables inside.    As this doesn't sound like that scenario, I'm doubtful that you will find anything, so don't be disappointed - but at a minimum you WILL have a great story to tell.   How many people find abandoned safes inside their houses?????

Good luck with it, and be careful, the tools necessary to try to break in can be dangerous.   Please use appropriate safety equipment including eye and ear protection, and safety gloves!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)