Antique Safes/beard and brother safe emblem

Question
A guy a work found a eagle emblem from a beard and brother safe in his yard and was asking what it might be worth, there doesn't seem to be any damage and you can read everything "Excelsior beard & brother st Louis Missouri" on it. But any information on this item would be very useful.

Answer
Hi Bruce,

Wow, this question is going to be a difficult one!

Unfortunately, while some safe collectors might be interested in the plaque, there isn't a serious "collectors group" for items like this.

In England, there is/are collectors of this type stuff as in general, the plaques and badges may be worth more to a collector than the safes.    This is mainly because the majority of the safes built in England were virtually identical.    Made by hundreds of small companies in 5 British towns, the only major differences in most of the safes were the badge or plaque from the maker, the handle, and possibly the key hole cover.

You can check some of these out on the FaceBook page:   Safe plaques/old badges

I would probably start at around $500 for the plaque if you are interested in selling it, however it may take some time to either find someone, or someone with a Beard & Bro. safe that is missing the plaque.

The faster you need to sell it, the lower the value - again, there simply isn't much call for these items.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)