Antique Safes/Cary safe company

Serial number 136658 came from the Marine national Bank building in buffalo NY. 2 door handles. Facing the safe the right side has the combination on the lock. Is there any advice on how to open it without destroying the safe? I would like to restore this safe although it's in great condition. Also any way to tell the age and or value? Right now it's a heavy pretty paper weight so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Oh by the way for any legal purposes the building has been sold and is going to be turned in to loft apartments and shopping area. I am doing construction on the buildings HVAC and was told I could take this safe from the new owners in the fact it was in the way.

Eric,  from the serial number it looks like the late 1800's early 1900's.  As far as opening it, I would recommend safe tech Mark Swetland in Buffalo.  I do not have his contact info but he shouldn't be hard to find.  As to the value, did you have to pay for it?  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place