Antique Safes/Dating a mosler safe

Question
I just picked up a mosler safe here in new hampshire. The last owner told me he personally took the safe out of a mill building in Lawrence ma. I would love to know the age of the safe and if it was possibly original to a mill building. The safe has two doors and each door has a handle with 197543 stamped on them. From looking at pictures it looks as if it had another set of door on the inside originally.  The last owner used it as a gun safe. Thank you for any and all info.

Answer
Hi Douglas,

Based on the serial number you provide, your safe would have been built between 1907-1909 - so it would be considered an antique safe.    

Too bad that the previous owner converted it to use for something else.    Missing the interior day doors and the original cabinetry will have a big effect on the antique value of the safe.

As far as if the safe was original to any particular owner - there simply are no records to check for this type of information.    You would have to do your own research on the Mill Building to see if you can find any documentation or photos that might validate the safes original ownership.

I would get as much info from the previous owner as possible, and document it.   While it may not help with value, it will make the safe a bit more interesting for future owners.

What other questions do you have???

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)