Antique Safes/gear for mosler safe

safe door
safe door  
I have this mosler safe. 10 inch door.  I had a vault expert out that said I needed to repair or replace this lower gear as it is quite worn on one side and it is very difficult to open and close the door.  He has retired before I could get the job done. Is there anybody who would stock this part?  He did not open the main wheel or top gear to check these for wear as he was sure it was this lower gear.

Hi Steve,

Let me apologize first, as I don't want to offend you with my laughter!    You are asking about anyone "STOCKING" a part, that hasn't been made since the 1920's, by a company that has been out of business for over 15 years.

Seriously, I'm not being rude, and I know that your question IS serious - just not well thought out.

The answer is no!   No one stocks parts for these doors.    

Okay now to the serious part of the answer - you only have a couple options to find this gear.

Option 1 - start knocking on every safe companies doors to see if you can find one that has torn down one of these doors for parts - Good luck with this one, as there are only a couple companies in the US that are large enough to do this, and I can pretty much guarantee you that they are not interested in keeping old parts around, hoping for someone to need that special part.
They are more interested in selling you a new door!!!

Option 2 - more realistic, have the part made by a machine shop.    

With the amount of time you are going to waste looking for a part that isn't available (time is money), it would be simpler to have the part made.   Most machine shops are very adept at making gears like this.  

You will need both parts removed from your door to provide them with a sample.    The parts shown in your picture are the "worm".   The worm gear is behind the worm on the lower shaft coming from the handle.    As the handle turns the worm gear, the worm gear rotates the worm.

Chances are if your worm is this damaged, so is the worm gear.    I would also take a close look at the upper worm and worm gear, it may need repairs or replacement as well.   Sorry but I'm not so sure your "safe expert" was that much of an expert, if he didn't take the time to check the upper set of gears out.   Probably better that he did retire!   

If the upper worm and worm gear are NOT damaged, they would be the ideal candidate for the machine shop to measure to get the proper angles to cut your gears.    HOWEVER they will also need the lower set, as they are drilled and pinned onto the bars.   In order for the pressure bar system of the door to work correctly, EVERYTHING as to be in correct alignment.   The new pieces have to correctly match the old pieces or the system will be out of time and not work correctly.

In this case, in addition to needing a safe technician with the proper knowledge to take the door apart AND more importantly, put it back together in the right order, you WILL need a machine shop that can make the parts you need.    I wish I was closer to you, as these are the types of projects that I love working on.

The nearest Company that I would probably recommend to you (I'm not sure where in Indiana you are located) would be:

American Safe & Vault Service
25935 Detroit Rd. Ste204
Cleveland, Ohio  44145

This company does specialize in repairing and/or restoring of safes and vaults.   While I doubt that they will have any parts in stock for your door, they should be able to remove and reinstall all of the parts, and have repairs or replacements made to the worm gear sets.

Again, let me apologize for my earlier humor - the only thing that makes me happier than an occasional laugh is the fact that you are trying to repair this beautiful door.

Hope this helps, good luck with the repairs.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada