Antique Safes/Hall's Safe & Lock Co

Question
Combo Knob
Combo Knob  
Handle
Handle  
QUESTION: My mother and father have a very old Hall's Safe & Lock Co. O. Cincinnati safe.  My father has passed away and my mother is wanting to find someone that can open it.  It is about 4ft tall and it appears to have 52 26 on the handle.  It is a combo safe.  We live about an hour from Louisville Ky in Indiana.  We are trying to find someone that can open the safe without tearing it up and giving us a value of it.  It is very old.  Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Judi,

One of the numbers has been "marked" out, but it's still close enough to give us an idea of when it was made.   The serial number should be 52x26.   This would place your safe between 1872-1874 as a date of manufacturer.

As far as evaluating the safe or appraising it, I can do that, however the safe WILL need to be opened first, as I need a full set of photos including the interior of the safe to evaluate it.

Fortunately for you, Louisville, KY is not that far from Nicholasville, KY, which is basically the home of the safecrackers.   In the late 1970's or early 80's the father of our craft moved his school and the Sargent & Greenleaf lock factory from Rochester NY to Nicholasville, where it remains today.    The two major schools teaching safe technicians are both in Nicholasville.   

While I can give you several names to contact to find someone who can open your safe WITHOUT destroying it, it might be easier if you give me your zip code so that I can see if I know of someone closer to you to recommend.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: The zip code is 47112

Answer
Hi Judi,

The list may not be the closest companies, but they are going to be my recommendations based on skill levels.   You can discuss the project with them and if they can't help, they may know of someone closer to you.

J. Cortie Locksmiths
859-806-3884          Joe is also president of the Safe & Vault Technicians Assoc.
3844 Heimbaugh Lane
Lexington, Ky  40514

Andy Dennison
859-361-3766          Andy is also an instructor for one of the schools in Nicholasville.
2484 Fieldrush Rd
Lexington, KY  40511

Pretty much everyone else is much further away, so lets start with these two guys.    They are going to know all of the smaller companies in your area, and may be able to recommend someone closer

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)