Antique Safes/Hibbard-Rodman-Ely Safe Co.

I have a size no.5 cannon ball style safe in working order, 72 hour time clock, about 2,000 lbs manganese steel,that I need to get rid of. Will sell for scrap metal as there doesn't see to be any interest in my area. Any suggestions?

Phillip, i am a little surprised you haven't had any luck selling it.  I don't know for sure but I have heard scrap yards don't take manganese steel as they can't use their mag cranes on them.  Maybe you were just asking too much or not reaching out far enough?  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place