Antique Safes/J Cartwright safe.

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe
Safe  
Hi can u identify this?

Answer
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your question and the pictures.

This is a Joseph Cartwright 'square cornered' safe.  Cartwright was one of many small safe makers that flourished in the late Victorian era from 1840 to 1880.  They were constructed from separate mild steel plates riveted to an angle iron frame forming sharp 90 degree shoulders, hence the name.

The body is filled with sand and sawdust, a primitive fire resistant compound, however much of this will have leaked and compacted over the years leaving large voids through with heat would be conducted.

Because of their vulnerability I don't recommend using these ancient safes for the protection of cash, valuables or important document.

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it on Allexperts.com

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer