Antique Safes/James Bruce Agent safe/lockbox

Question
James Bruce Agent lockbox
James Bruce Agent lock  

James Bruce inside
James Bruce inside  
Hello, thank you for reading my email regarding my lockbox/safe. 25" tall and 16" deep with door badging that reads
James Bruce
     Agent
36 West Nile St.
 Glasgow (Clascow)??

Inside on back of door is original sticker..
Fire and Thief Proof Safe Depot
 36 West Nile Street, Glasgow

Has one small slide out drawer inside. 3- lock bars in the door.
Recently the lock will not engage (lock) when using key. The twist door opener works as normal but it will not lock. Is there someone in the Dallas,TX area you can recommend to repair? Also, any info in the safe itself is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Answer
Hi Mark,

James Bruce was only a sales agent for the manufacturer.    The manufacture was one of hundreds of small safe companies building these containers in England during the late 1800's.    Unfortunately the majority of this type of container is the same as all of them, with the only real differences being the lock, the handle and the key hole cover.    Generally they had a manufacturer's plaque, but in this case it seems to have been replaced by the sales agent plaque.

As far as having the lock repaired, I don't know of anyone in the Dallas area that specializes in antique safes and/or specifically these old English containers.

The largest safe company in your area that may have someone that can work on it would be:

Rolland Safe Company
3140 Towerwood Drive,
Dallas, TX  75234

972-243-3711

If they can't help you they may know of a safe technician in the area they would recommend.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)