Antique Safes/James Bruce Agent safe/lockbox

James Bruce Agent lockbox
James Bruce Agent lock  

James Bruce inside
James Bruce inside  
Hello, thank you for reading my email regarding my lockbox/safe. 25" tall and 16" deep with door badging that reads
James Bruce
36 West Nile St.
 Glasgow (Clascow)??

Inside on back of door is original sticker..
Fire and Thief Proof Safe Depot
 36 West Nile Street, Glasgow

Has one small slide out drawer inside. 3- lock bars in the door.
Recently the lock will not engage (lock) when using key. The twist door opener works as normal but it will not lock. Is there someone in the Dallas,TX area you can recommend to repair? Also, any info in the safe itself is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Mark,

James Bruce was only a sales agent for the manufacturer.    The manufacture was one of hundreds of small safe companies building these containers in England during the late 1800's.    Unfortunately the majority of this type of container is the same as all of them, with the only real differences being the lock, the handle and the key hole cover.    Generally they had a manufacturer's plaque, but in this case it seems to have been replaced by the sales agent plaque.

As far as having the lock repaired, I don't know of anyone in the Dallas area that specializes in antique safes and/or specifically these old English containers.

The largest safe company in your area that may have someone that can work on it would be:

Rolland Safe Company
3140 Towerwood Drive,
Dallas, TX  75234

If they can't help you they may know of a safe technician in the area they would recommend.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada