Antique Safes/Joseph Bates

Question
Hello. I was wondering if you could give me a valuation on Joseph Bates Safe. It is of green original colour with 2 draws inside and opens with a single long silver key. On the outside it has a Joesph Bates and Sons Patent Lock symbol. any help will be much appreciated and if you require further details please let me know. Thanks

Answer
Hello Amnn,

Thank you for your enquiry and the pictures of your Joseph Bates safe.

Bates were just one of scores of small safe makers that appeared in the late Victorian era.  Most of these companies disappeared with the outbreak of World War I and I assume this probably happened to Joseph Bates as I can find no reference to them in after the early 1900's.

This type of safe is referred to as 'square cornered' as it is manufactured from separate mild steel plates riveted to an angle-iron frame, creating sharp, 90 degree shoulders, hence the name.

The body is almost certainly filled with sand and sawdust, a primitive form of fire protection to preserve ledgers.  However, over the years this loose fill will have leaked and compacted to form large voids through which heat can be conducted.  As the rivets are easily popped, especially at the back, these late Victorian safes should not be used to secure cash, valuables or important paper records.

As they are of no practical use, they can only be decorative.  Second hand safe dealers usually wont accept them as the sand and sawdust makes such a mess when they are stripped for the metal.  However,there are collectors who purchase these old safes and restore them to a very high standard and sell them on.  You could probably get the best price at auction but you have to transport  it to the auction rooms and bring it back again if it doesn't sell.  Ebay always has a few antique safes for sale and this is probably the best way to estimate its value.  Ignore the 'Buy Now' items as they always ask far too much and then seldom sell.  The average price is around 140 but ensure that the buyer must collect as moving these old safes often costs more than it's worth.

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it on Allexperts.com

Kind regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy
Specialist in Safes since 1970.

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer