Antique Safes/Old Ratner safe

Hey there,
Firstly i would like to say that im very glad that i have found this site. My father and i love antique pieces and we came across this Ratner safe cruising around when we were in old town.. We immediately bought the safe because of the love at first sight:) im not sure the photo attached is good enough for you, i can take any photos you want.. I would like to get an average price for this lovely Ratner if possible.. All original pieces are intact (brass parts, original painting etc) and i have 2 original keys. Outer painting are not that excellent and inside have been painted 2 or more times i think. Dimensions are (not exact because safe is in my office right now) 40cm height, 35cm width, 35cm depth i think. Thank you for your service, have a nice day!

Hello Ridvan,

Unfortunately these older English safes have limited value - sort of!   This is going to be a two part answer!

1.  "IN General" - During the late 1800's there were NUMEROUS small safe manufacturers building these small safes out of 5 British cities.    These safes were ALL pretty much the same as all of these safe manufacturers had apprenticed under the same safe masters over the years.    With the exception of the "name plaques", handles and key hole covers, these safes were VERY similar to each other.     All of these safes were also only distributed throughout the United Kingdom.   As such the values tend to be artificially lower in these areas because of the shear numbers that are available.    Generally you would be looking at about 150-200 British Pounds or about $250 to $320 US dollars.

2.  In areas that were NOT controlled by the United Kingdom, distribution of these safes was much slimmer in fact most of the safes in these areas were brought in by the owners when they moved from one area to another, rather than by sales agents.    Values in these areas might easily be Triple or quadruple what they would be throughout the UK.

For instance in the US, where few of these containers are available, the values could easily be around $800 to $1250 US dollars and possibly double this at a well publicized auction.

Unfortunately I can't speak for the values of these safes in Turkey as I am not familiar with THAT particular market.   My recommendation would be to look around and/or discuss the safe with antique dealers in that region to see what a similar safe might be worth.   Prices WILL vary depending on numbers available or how frequently these safes are available for sale and demand.   If a lot of potential buyers are knocking on antique dealers doors looking for these safes, the "for sale" value is going to be much higher than in areas where few people are interested in buying these safes.

Welcome to safe collecting, hopefully this isn't your last safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada