Antique Safes/Reliable safe

Question
I have a Reliable safe from Anton F. Muller & Co. Newark,Nj.have since lost the combination there is a patent number 12237 from August 17 can't quite make the year looks like 1957.There has been two previous holes i see drilled and filled. I guess my question is... how can I get the safe open should I try to re drill the holes?

Answer
Hi Ron,

The Reliable Safe Company was only around from 1916 to about 1941.   It was acquired by the Mosler Safe Company in the early 1940's and manufacturing ceased.

So, I'm not sure what patent date is, or is for, as it would not have been for this safe if it was post 1941.     I looked at photos of numerous Reliable safes that I have, and none of them had a patent date that I could see, so I have no comparison to check.

As far as re-drilling the door I NEVER recommend this type of work as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths.    Lack of training, knowledge, etc. can result in damage to the lock that may be non-repairable, and with the fact that these parts are NOT available, damage should NOT be an option.

Obviously as it is your safe, you can choose to proceed, I would just caution you to do so with all caution, so as not to damage anything.   

I also always have some trepidation when I find out a safe was previously drilled.    Many times locks are ruined or damaged when drilled, and then replaced with something else, so for the following two reasons I can't give you any info on drilling and opening the safe yourself.
1.   As we have no idea who you are, your relationship to the safe and/or authorization to work on the safe - we never provide ANY opening information other than the proper dialing sequences for the lock we would expect to be on the safe.    I hope you understand that we have to have this policy for obvious security and liability reasons.
2.   As the safe has been previously drilled, I have no way of knowing how it was repaired and/or if the lock was replaced.  

My recommendation, as always, would be to have a safe tech from a local safe company open it for you.   If you don't have a local company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)