Antique Safes/Reliable safe

Question
Reliable safe
Reliable safe  
Hello. I have a Reliable Safe and Lock safe I recently just picked up. I got it unlocked with a combo the previous owner couldn't get to work. After a little tinkering I got all that figured out. I really like the safe and was trying to find more info about it. Doesn't seem to b much out there. Was wondering what the weight on one of these is and what the name across the top is for. Is it for the owner or a city? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Mike,

Good job getting it working.

During the late 1800's and into the 1900's, part of the practice was lettering the name of the original buyer on the top of the safe.    So in your case  "I. L. Eden" would have been an owner at some point.    If you have some idea of where the safe came from (city), you might do some checking to see if you can find any info out about this person.

You are correct in that there isn't much information about this company.   Basically they began business in 1916.   Around 1941 (early 1940's) they were acquired by the Mosler Safe Company who then closed it down.

Based on the size of your safe, I would estimate it to be around 800 lbs.    (700-900 lbs).

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)