Antique Safes/Remington and Rand Safe

I have an old Remington and Rand Safe that I am trying to value so I can sell it.  The dimensions are 54.5"W X 72'H X 29" D.  Both lock handles have the work "Yale" on them.  There are combinations on both handles. Here are a few photos.  Thanks.

Hi James,

These safes, with the hidden doors were pretty cool.    The Yale locks were also unique, your lock is either going to be a Yale 072-1/2, 073, or 074 series lock.    This safe was made in the early 1950's (1950-55).     During the merger between Remington-Rand and the Sperry Corp. in 1955 to create Sperry-Rand, the safe manufacturing division was closed down and no more safes were made from these companies.

While the safe possibly has some value, it also has some problems that need to be addressed if you intend to try to sell it.    This safe manufacturer was a known user of asbestos as an insulation medium.    Most states have very strict HAZMAT polices concerning the selling of,  transportation of, and/or disposal of ANY item that is or has HAZMAT.    Asbestos falls into this category.

I would recommend your checking your local & state HAZMAT requirements before trying to sell, move or dispose of this safe.    Penalties FAR out weigh any value for non-compliance.

Once you determine what your responsibilities are - INCLUDING notifying the potential buyer that the safe has asbestos in writing - then you can consider selling the safe.

Also, unfortunately, these safes do not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and they are not burglary resistive safes.    They do not have any commercial or retail value and they are not antique or collectible.    While they do have value as a general purpose storage container it may be a difficult sell.

Note:    Regardless of the careless TV advertisements concerning Asbestos by the ambulance chasing lawyers, Asbestos is ONLY dangerous IF it becomes airborne AND if you inhale it.   As long as the material stays sealed inside the walls of the safe it poses little danger - HOWEVER, many states basically have a zero tolerance when it comes to ANY HAZMAT, so you will have to check your local regs to see how it might affect you.

As far as value goes - IF you can get past the HAZMAT issues, it is possibly worth $350 to $400.   If you need it to go away rather quickly, be prepared to lower your asking price.

Sorry the answer isn't what you were hoping for.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada