Antique Safes/Safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe
Safe  
I have a safe with the markings of
MFD By
Herring-Hall-Marvin
Hamilton Ohio
1945
Wll-009-QM-29197
I cant tell what the first number is of the following
20448 or 30448, but what from I can see it looks more like the first number is a 2
On the front it has a US in the metal. It has some rust on it, seems like surface rust. I am trying to find out approx, its value. Thank you

Answer
Hi Kenny & Tammy,

As I answered you on my email, I'll just copy that answer over here.

What you have is a US Military “Field” safe.    These were used, in the field, to keep “stuff” locked up.    Whether pistol’s or secret documents, it allowed Army companies to move about and maintain their stuff.

Fortunately your container is open (unlocked) AND it has at least ONE of the carrying handles.    If you haven’t figured the handle out yet, the “T” part of the handle fits in the slot on top of the safe (should be another attachment point on the bottom), and turned 90 degrees to lock it in, then you have a handle to lift the container.     

To keep the container from “walking off”, they would put a chain through one or all of the handles, including the top handle, and lock it down to something immoveable – like a jeep!    (assuming that no one drives off in the jeep!)

Values vary, depending on what is currently available.    As thousands and thousands of these containers were made, and pretty much all of them are now in surplus stores or antique shops, the values haven’t risen much, however in certain areas which may have groups of collectors or military re-enactors, values may be higher – again, depending on availability, quantity and quality.       You may also want to check on local car shows or military equipment shows to see what others might be selling them for – or to sell yours.

Generally the “values” I’ve seen for these containers run about $250-$350, depending on condition.      Your safe has a lot of rust and scraped/damaged paint that needs work.   Chances are the lock also needs complete servicing.     Cleaned up, operational with a working combination you might get as much as $450, if you find an interested buyer.

These containers are NOT considered to be a safe, they do not meet ANY current standards for burglary or fire resistance and should NOT be used for overnight security of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.      These containers were made for a very specific purpose in the military, where unit members were always around.

Hope this helps.      If you have any other questions let me know.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)