Antique Safes/UL Vault Door Ratings

Question
Can you give an indication of the approximate insurance values that may be obtained on cash holdings in the USA for the UL standards on vault doors? Specifically:

Class M Vault (15 mins)
Class 1 Vault (30 mins)
Class 2 Vault (60 mins)
Class 3 Vault (120 mins)

I need this info only to allow me to make a very general comparison with the insurance cover provided on EN1143-1 CEN ratings.

Thanks, Rod

Answer
Hi Rod,

Vaults and safes don't have "approximate" values.    It all depends on the insurance company that YOU are dealing with, and the amount of RISK that they place on the valuables that are going to be installed.

Risk factors include, but are not limited to:

1.  The $$$ value that you intend to store.
2.  Attached alarm systems.
3.  Likely hood of robberies or burglaries.
4.  Availability of Police or Security
5.  likely hood of armed insurrection, locally, where police may be kept busy somewhere else.   As in a riot.
6.  facilities and/or building the vault is built in.
7.  Vault walls.    The classification of the walls needs to match the doors and/or exceed the classification.

While I can give you some "baseline" numbers for reference, this in no way means that these amounts are either the minimum or maximum amounts that a particular insurance company will provide under any given circumstance, without taking into consideration all of the variables and threat levels.

My recommendation would be for you to discuss your particular situation WITH your insurance agency to see what level of protection they will require, under your circumstances.

My recommendations based on years in the industry and ONLY to be used as a starting point are:

Class M Vault (15 mins)          not to exceed  $100,000
Class 1 Vault (30 mins)          not to exceed  $500,000
Class 2 Vault (60 mins)          not to exceed  $1,000,000
Class 3 Vault (120 mins)         in excess of $1,000,000

Hope this helps out as a general comparison, bottom line, regardless of the $$$ value, the insurance companies will come up with their own requirements, based on the RISKS!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)