Antique Safes/Age of Victor safe

Question
Victor safe
Victor safe  
I have my great grand father's safe and the special guarantee that it is fire-proof and instructions for unlocking, but no bill of sale.  I' .like to know how old it is.  There is a date on the original envelope that the documents came in which I think is 1909.  The guarantee has the safe number and I wondered if that could be used to determine its age?  The number is 178383.  My great grand father's name is on the front and I believe he used it in his coal and lumber business.  He died in 1914, so it has to have been purchased prior to that.  

The lock is in good working order - I just used it a couple of weeks ago to open the safe with the original combination and instructions.  

I would also like to know the value of the safe.  I understand you will let me know what additional information/pictures you need?  The exterior of the safe is rusted and most of the decoration is no longer visible.

Answer
Hi Tricia,

Your safe is from the Victor Safe & Lock Company, Cincinnati, OH, which was in business from 1885 until they were acquired by the Safe Cabinet Company in 1920.

The Trademark emblem on the back of the door, was used on and off up to at least the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, in St. Louis, Mo.     I have photos of safe, serial number 144131 without the emblem, and a postcard dated 1904 with the emblem.
Safe serial number 267017 also has the 1885 trademark emblem, but no 1904 emblem.

After 1905, the safes would have had the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition emblem on it.    

If your safe doesn't have the 1904 emblem then it would have been built prior to 1905.   If it has the 1904 emblem, then the safe would have been built after 1905.

As you have indicated that you have documents which came with the safe with a 1909 date, that would be "fair" evidence that it would have been made in 1909 or possibly the year previous to that.
Based on your serial number and similar safes which I have photos of, I would probably place it in the late 1890's, which may mean that it was sold as a second hand safe in 1909, not as a new safe.

To evaluate the safe I will need much better photos - including photos of your documentation.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)