Antique Safes/Gary Floor Safe

Gary Floor Safe
Gary Floor Safe  

Gary Label
Gary Label  
I cannot find any information about this safe. I have the combo but would like to know age and value (if possible). Thanks

Hi Phillip,

I'm not sure what information you are looking for as you were not very specific.

The Gary Safe Company was in business in the LA area (City of Industry) from about the early 1960's until the early 1980's when it merged with Allied Security in Seattle to form "Allied-Gary International".    This company continued until the early 1990's when it was acquired by NKL Incorporated, which was then acquired by FireKing International around 1995.

While FireKing International is the current owner of the "GARY" logo, safes made by this company have nothing to do with safes from the original Gary Safe Company.

Your safe is what we term a "Lift Out Round Door" type safe.    It is a Gary 50 series, 6-1/2" door, most likely a "B-50" door.    Probably mid to late 1960's.   
I'm assuming that the UL label lists the burglary rating as a "T-20" rating.    This is ACTUALLY a "tamper resistant" rating and NOT a burglary resistive rating.
The safe door is not case hardened but usually has a small round piece of hardened steel installed to protect the lock from normal drilling attempts.

The safe is obsolete and parts are not available for these containers.

Values for this container would be as follows:

Fire resistance:     $0     This is not a fire resistive safe
Burglary:          $0     Tamper resistant, not burglary resistant.   Actually has no rating unless it is actually installed IN concrete of sufficient weight to keep someone from walking away with it!
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial value or retail value.
Antique/Collectible: $0     Neither antique or collectible.

While it has no value under any of the above circumstances, as long as it is operational and serviced regularly to keep it operational, it can be used as a small security container - assuming that you plan on installing it in concrete or securing it down.

Values for sale would be in the $100 to $200 range, if you find someone interested in it.

Good luck with it, hope this was the info you were looking for.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada