Antique Safes/J Baum lock and safe company

Question
I have an old safe 24x25x29. It seems that someone has cut the rod or lever and there is no counter balance or tripping mechanism. Are there any parts available to fix/replace the combination lock? Could you provide pictures of counter balance/ working mechanism that I might build. The combination dial is in good shape. Pictures may be available, wife says not real good at this. Leslie

Answer
Hi Leslie,

The J. Baum Safe & Lock Company has not been in business since the 1920's, so no there are no parts readily available.    That being said there are plenty of old safes out there, so if you are simply looking for a replacement part, you only need to find another safe, similar to yours, which may be in worse shape, to use for donor parts.

Okay, that may not be as easy as it sounds, so second option would be to have the gravity lever made.   You can have a machine shop make it, or you can make it yourself, if you have tools.

I WILL need to see your safe, so that I can provide you with a possible photo and/or drawing of the correct lever for your safe.

Send photos of the safe and locking mechanism directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

I'll also check my old parts to see if I have anything that will work for you.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)