Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

Question
Mosler safe
Mosler safe  
QUESTION: I'm interested in a Mosler safe I can get at a great deal. I have a few questions the serial number on the handle is 128821 can the year be told by this. Also need an idea of the weight of this safe 36x30x58. On the bottom it says COR. BROADWAY& DUANE NEW YORK can you give any info on that? Thank you for any help.

ANSWER: Hi Preston,

I will need much better dimensions for the safe.   Inside and outside measurements, thickness of the walls and doors and height of the castors.    Measurements of the safe do not include the castor heights.

As for the question about the wording on the bottom of the safe - this was probably a Mosler Sales office at the "Corner of Broadway & Duane Street, New York, NY.    There are several large office buildings on the west side of Broadway at Duane street, with the IRS and US Immigration offices on the East side of Broadway.

Hope this helps,   get me the requested numbers and I'll see what I can work up for you.

Safe 2
Safe 2  
QUESTION: Inside measurements are 22"w 18"d 36"h. Doors are 19"w 6"d 44"h. Overall outside without caster legs or wheels is 35"w 31"d 48"h. Walls seem to be 12"-13" thick. Caster legs are 9"h with a 6" caster wheel. I attached a pic of what I think is the serial number. And need an estimated weight. Thank Again.

Answer
Hi Preston,

Based on your measurements I would estimate this safe to weigh between 3000-3500 lbs.   The number I actually came up with is at 3223 lbs, but that is estimated based on the measurements.

Moving heavy equipment and safes requires specialized training and equipment.   If you don't have a local safe company that has the capability to safely move heavy safes, then you can let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know of and/or recommend anyone in your area.    You can also look for rigging companies, they generally are also well trained to move heavy items.

The serial number places it during the late 1890's, possibly 1897-1900, as a date of manufacturer.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)