Antique Safes/national safe and lock co.

In 4/19/2010 you answered a question about this safe. I am interested in acquiring a method to get the combination since it is locked and shut.
this was a national safe and lock safe out of Portland or. Mine is the same dist.

Hi Bob,

Manufacturers NEVER published any information concerning safes or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.    After they have gone out of business any records are pretty much gone for good.
In this case the National Safe & Lock Company was acquired in 1920 by Steelcraft Corporation of America.    While they continued to make safes for a short period of time, they were under the logo "National Safe Works".     They were out of business by the beginning of the Great Depression around 1929.

This pretty much leaves you with two options to get the safe open:

1.   You can test dial all of the, at least 1,000,000 possible combinations on your lock.   100,000,000 possible if it is a four wheel lock.   At a minimum testing 500 each and every day would take you about 5.5 years to test them all.   (530 years for the four wheel lock!)

2.   You can have a safe technician from a local safe company open the safe up and recover the combination for you.   Cost will vary from company to company but a reasonable expectation would be in the $350 to $500 range.
Note:   Anyone that even indicates they can open the safe but MAY ruin it - should be STRICTLY avoided.   You wouldn't take your car to a mechanic to have the oil changed if they indicated they could change the oil but might ruin the engine, and similarly you shouldn't expect this type service for your safe.

As replacement parts are NOT going to be readily available, any damage that is NOT easily repairable should NOT be done.

If you don't have a local safe company to contact in your area, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada