Antique Safes/old fire fyter filing cabinet

Question
i have an old fire fyter "fire resistant" file cabinet that reads SPEC F2-ND is SMNA class D  CAT.NO 40 and theres a Y on the top right corner of the label. building materials index # A315593. it has a lock and there is no key. im wondering if A. is it still worth anything? B. There is no key and need to get into it before anything is done with it. so basically my main question is, is there any way i can get into it without calling a lock smith? it was a relatives of mine who has passed away and am pretty sure there are important documents in there. any help is good at this point. not finding much about it.thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi James,

Your container was built prior to 1962.   In "general" fire resistive containers, are NOT considered to meet ANY current standards for fire resistance if they are over 50 years old.   UL has a 10 year limit if test units are not resubmitted every 10 years, but in general practice as they usually aren't moved much, 50 years is a good MAXIMUM limit.

The reason being is due to several conditions including material degradation and cracking due to slamming of the doors and drawers.   While the unit may LOOK good, you have no way of looking inside the doors and walls to determine the condition of the insulation.   Cracks of any size can allow heat to penetrate the container in the event of a fire, allowing the documents to char or burn.

As far as "value" - worth anything - no, the container has NO retail value and as mentioned it does NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance.

If you are locked out and don't have a key then you will need to contact a local locksmith to open it and/or make a key for the lock.   These locks should be relatively easy for a trained locksmith to either pick open or to make a key for.    Anyone who indicates that they have to drill out this lock to open it probably doesn't have the necessary training and shouldn't be used.

If you decide to continue to use it, I would recommend keeping ONLY general purpose documents which can be replaced if they are damaged.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)