Antique Safes/phillips and sons double door safe

Question
phillips and sons safe
phillips and sons safe  

safe
safe  
Hi we have this safe in my office, we are planning to remove this safe. Can you give me any information and if it has any value?

Regards

Steve McLeod

Answer
Hello Stephen,

This is a late Victoria '4 corner bent' safe, a form of construction most popular from 1890 to 1914.  The body is filled with a loose mix of sand, sawdust and probably some alum crystals.  The sand and sawdust tend to make the safe heavy, probably in excess of 1/2 ton so it is not going to be easy to move.

Unfortunately safes of this age have little use as they are easily forced open using modern tools.  Consequently they fetch very little.  You can get some idea of values from ebay.  Search for 'antique safes' but ignore the 'buy now' posts as they always ask far too much and seldom sell.  Generally the smaller sizes sell at around 140, but these larger double-door safes are less popular.  

Getting rid of them is difficult because the weight generally requires specialists to shift them.  Scrap metal dealers are often reluctant to take them because the sand and sawdust makes such a mess of their yards.  Second hand safe dealers are unlikely to be interested in safes of this size and age and would probably want to charge you to take it away and dump it in a land-fill site.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but it is worth putting it on ebay with a very low starting price but ensure you say 'buyer collects' because the cost of moving it will almost certainly be more than it is worth.

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it on Allexperts.com

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer