Antique Safes/Question regarding safe

Dieu et mon droit large safe
If you can tell me it's info and price.
Much appreciated if you can help

Hello Abdullah

I have no information concerning "Jennings Bros." in Melbourne, being anything other than a sales agent or distributor.

It was pretty standard practice to put on a logo for advertising purposes.

Chances are, you safe was made by one of the numerous safe companies making safes in four towns in England during the late 1800's.   

"Dieu et mon droit" translates to "God and my Right", which was the moto of the British Monarchy.   It was also done in French, indicating the right of the British Monarch to rule France, or his claim to the French Crown.

The "right" to display the royal coat of arms on items like safes does NOT mean this safe was used by the monarchy, its use was allowed on items which were manufactured BY companies that were authorized to produce or manufacturer items authorized and/or used by the crown.    There were several safe companies that were allowed to use the Royal Crest.    Chubb Safes was one of these companies.

Unfortunately there are no other markings that I can see in the photos to narrow down who may have made your safe, or when it was made.    Having the crest, by itself, does not add any real overall value to the safe, however it is a neat plaque and will add value.  

Again, unfortunately, these safes tend to have much less potential value, than safes of similar age made in the US.    Safes like this were made in four British towns by several hundred different safe makers, though all of these safes were virtually identical.    Also they were ONLY shipped to UK countries.    

Because of the number of very similar safes and the number of these safes available throughout the UK, the price tends to be artificially reduced.

Generally, unless you have something very special about your safe, prices are going to be in the 150-200 British Pound range (about $250 to $400, US dollars).

Sorry, I wish the news was better.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada