Antique Safes/Safe

Floor Safe
Floor Safe  
Someone wants to sell me a safe and want's 350 for it and I don't know that much about it. They say it's fire proof and does not contain asbestos. it's about 24.5 inches wide, 28.5 inches deep, and 59 inches tall.

Hi Erin,

Amazing - a Sarah - just asked me questions about this same safe, so I'll give you the same answer I gave her - please read ALL THE WAY through to the end:

Hi Sarah,

Your safe was manufactured by the Art Metal Company, Jamestown, NY probably between the 1930's to early 1950's.    Obviously the lock on it is NOT original.   It is a LaGard Basic series.

Bad news - this manufacture used asbestos as an insulation media, so the safe has little value.   Many states have very strict HAZMAT rules concerning sales of, transportation of and/or disposal of items containing Hazardous Materials!

That being said, asbestos is a very good fire resistive material.   It ONLY poses a health risk when it becomes airborne AND you inhale it.    Obviously though state and government agencies have decided that JUST having it present presents a POTENTIAL danger!

As long as you keep it in your garage, AND you keep the insulation material sealed up inside the safe it shouldn't be a problem - but this isn't my decision - its yours!

If you plan on keeping it, I would probably get some clear coat spray on sealer at your local hardware store, and spray down the safe and any cracks and crevices to seal the container.

warning:    Obviously don't spray the sealer in moving parts or in the lock.    If you seal these items up, the safe won't work.

Up to you if you decide to keep it, but be proactive with your protection.

Hope this helps,

Obviously who ever told you that it doesn't have asbestos MAY BE trying to pull the wool over your eyes.    If you are really interested in the safe, have the insulation material tested.   If you don't have a local HAZMAT testing agency, you can get test kits at most HOME DEPOTS, LOWES, ACE HARDWARE and CVS Pharmacies or by going to

and ordering one.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada