Antique Safes/Shaw Walker Safe

Question
Hello Terry,

I read a prior Q&A you answered regarding a Shaw-Walker Safe am looking for fire proof details for our Shaw-Walker. Unfortunately, I see no rating letter, however, what I can tell you is below the Shaw-Walker stamp there is a worn out sticker that begins with AK on the first line, Master on the 2nd line and Tel. on the 3rd line. The lock is a Yale lock and on the inside of the door behind the lock is a 4 digit number. Are these safes traditionally fire proof or do you need additional information to determine?

Answer
Hi Carolyn,

First lets start off with "terminology".    There is no such thing as "FIRE Proof"!    Safes are rated in Fire or Heat "RESISTANCE", based on their ability to keep heat out of the container.   They are rated by temperature and time, based on standard testing procedures used by either UL or the Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA).    Note:   SMNA has been defunct since about 1962-64ish.

Fire or heat resistance is defined as keeping the interior of the safe or container, below 350 degrees F. for the period of the testing, generally in 1/2 hr, 1 hr, 2 hr or 4 hr tests.    The reason for this standard is that "paper type products" will char around 412 degrees F and combust around 451 degrees F.   By keeping the interior temperature below 350 degrees F, the paper will survive a fire.

While your safe may be insulated and/or provide some degree of heat resistance, IF it is NOT labeled, then for all practical purposes it is NOT fire resistive.

Also, safes OVER 50 years old (which would be prior to 1967 at this point, are NOT considered to meet any standards.   As containers get older, insulation gets cracked and degrades allowing heat to enter the container.    There is no way to reinsulate the container to recover a fire rating.    Older safes should NOT be used for overnight storage of ANY valuable documents or items which are not easily replaced.

This should answer your question about your safe.   If it is over 50 years old and/or if it is not specifically labeled by UL to be fire resistive, then it is NOT!

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)