Antique Safes/Butler Safe

Question
Andy,
I have an small double door, key locking antique Butler fire safe that I bought from the 90 year old grandson of the original owner. I am assuming it was made after the Civil War in New York. I can send you photos to get an idea of its value if you like. I am currently restoring it. Thank you.
Gregory Kline
Kline Safe & Lock, Inc.
8091 N. Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

www.klinelocksmith.com

Answer
Hi Gregory,

I love hearing about people that are taking the time to reclaim, restore and save some of our history.    It's amazing what type of work, lock and safe makers were doing 100-150 years ago (or longer) making intricate locks and safes, often with little more than hand tools.    I wish that the people in our trades (Locksmithing and safe making) had the same passions and dedication that the trades use to have.    In many cases I see our current locksmiths and safe men have become little more than "trained Monkeys".    I know that this offends some people that work really hard at being good at their trade and I'm not aiming this at them.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to see what info I can provide to you.    I would also suggest that you may want to check out and/or get in contact with Matt Lamborn in Ashland, Oh, if you haven't already.    Matt does some masterful safe restorations, and is probably one of the best in the industry currently.    You can check out some of his work by going to:

https://www.facebook.com/Matts-Antique-Safe-Restoration-114499335320464/

Another couple friends doing amazing restoration work with European safes are David and Desmond Siah in Singapore.   Check their site out at:    http://www.siaholdsafe.com/

Butler Safe & Lock Company was originally established in 1850 as "Valentine & Butler Safe & Lock Company.    Around 1870 Mr. Valentine retired and the company became known as Butler Safe & Lock Company or  W.H. Butler Fire & Burglar Proof Safes, in New York.    They were also a distributor or sales agent for Diebold Safe & Lock Company.    It appears that they were out of business in the early to mid 1880's as I've found no other records for them.

So based on this information, YES, your safe would have been made after the Civil War or between about 1870-1885ish.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)