Antique Safes/Date and Value of Mosler Safe

Question
Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  

Inside the Front Door
Inside the Front Door  
Hi Terry,
We've had a Mosler safe in our family through three generations.  We're moving out of the area, and my husband wants me to get rid of it.  I'm wondering if you can help tell me how old it might be, and it's value.  Stamped on the combination knob with the Mosler name and Hamilton, Ohio is: 375772.
(I don't think it's 875771.)
I have the combination, and it still works perfectly, but I don't have the key for the little box on the inside compartment.  I know it offers some fire protection because of the metal plates on the inside of the door and also on the front door.
Thank you for your help.  Raimie K.

Answer
Hi Raimie,

Based on the serial number and the photos your safe would have been made during the early 1940's, probably 1941 or 42ish.  This safe was designed for fire resistance ONLY and not as a burglary resistive safe.   At best is this container is only "tamper" resistant!

This safe is over 50 years old and does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance, it also is not a burglary resistive safe.

While it is a cute little safe, it has little value at this time, possibly in 20 to 30 years when it becomes an antique.

Basic values are as follows:
Fire resistance:          $0     Does not meet current standards
Burglar resistance:       $0     Not a burglary safe.
Resale value:          $0     has no commercial or retail value.    should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.     GENERAL PURPOSE Storage ONLY!
Antique/Collectible:      $0     Is not considered antique or collectible.   Basically this would be considered old office equipment at this time.

While it has no value under any of the above categories, this does not mean that it has NO value.   "IF" you are planning on selling the container I would look for about $100 to $250.   if you need it to go away more quickly, then expect to get the lower value, or be prepared to lower the value you are looking for.    If you have time to wait for that one time buyer who falls in love with the safe, then you can hold out for a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)