Antique Safes/Dating Query

Question
Handle
Handle  

Patent plate
Patent plate  
Dear Sir

I am hoping you might be able to help with dating a stron-room door.

It is a J. Tann Reliance Patent (see attached images). Our client is unable to locate any serial number, might you know where these are usually located? As yet, I have been unable to inspect the item myself.

Many thanks

Guy Arnall

Answer
Hello Guy,

Thank you for your question and for the pictures.  The round brass bolt-thrower handle gives it away as a late Victorian door.  It was probably made before 1880 and if you can find a serial number I should be able to date it more precisely.  The number is usually stamped on the end of one of the moving bolts.

John Tann is generally accepted as the world's first safe maker and for many years all their safes and strongroom doors were made at their Reliance Safe Works. Sadly, just a few years ago, the company was purchased by a Swedish conglomerate, their factories closed and all staff laid off.

If you find the serial number, please come back to me.  If you found the answer useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer