Antique Safes/Detroit safe company

Question
Detroit safe
Detroit safe  
QUESTION: I have a Detroit Safe that is approx 18"x24"x20"deep.  The safe was in the basement when we bought the house 8 years ago.  It is locked and we don't have the combination. I'm wondering how much it should weigh empty and whether it is worthwhile to have a locksmith open it and provide us with a combination.  We have never used it but it looks in good condition and might be worthwhile saving.  Here is a picture.  Can you tell when it was made?

ANSWER: Hi Bill,

While the safe may have been sold by Detroit Safe Company at some point, it actually appears to be from the Syracuse Safe Company.
It was (and is) a pretty common practice to re-label the safes with the selling companies info, for advertising reasons.    If you like the safe and/or someone else liked it and wanted one, you would have the info for the selling company.

As far as the question "is it worthwhile saving?"   sorry but you are asking the wrong guy!    I find value in almost all safes.    Obviously I can't evaluate this safe until it is opened and we can verify the safe maker and its overall condition, but I think it will be worth your time.

As for using a locksmith to open the safe - up to you, but generally NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    Lack of training, knowledge and tools can cause excessive damage which is a NO-NO, on antiques where parts are not easily replaceable if they are available at all.

Similarly as far as age, that's all part of the identification process.

My recommendation check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for nearby companies.   If you don't have any let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know and/or might recommend in your area.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: I am in Kalamazoo,  Michigan.  Do you know of someone in this area?

Answer
Hi Bill,

The nearest company that I would recommend would possibly be:

Hoogerhyde safe & lock     about 45 miles away
616-458-6365
1033 LEONARD NW
GRAND RAPIDS, MI.   49504

or

Mark's Lock Shop          about 60 miles away
517 482 5809          Mark Blum
2107 South Cedar
Lansing, MI  48910

I have some better shops and safe techs but they are going to be double to triple the distance.   While the distance isn't an issue to me, as I drive 400-500 miles many days each week, to others it seems an excessive amount.

Either of these shops should be able to handle your safe, and if you can take it to them, you will save additionally.

Call them and discuss their fees and options.   If you have questions feel free to run it by me first before having the work done.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)