Antique Safes/Gibraltar safes

Question
safe
safe  
Hi, I have 2 Gibraltar safes. My husband purchased at an auction. Unfortunately he lost the combinations. They are about 4ft. Tall and 30in" wide. Is there a way to get them opened.

Answer
Hi Renee,

Your 2 Meilink Gibraltar safes are TL-30 High Security safes.   Losing the combinations is going to be a VERY costly mistake.   Hopefully they are set on the same combination, if not  $$$$$!!!

You basically have three options,
1.  You can contact the place you purchased them from to see if they have any records of the combinations.   If not see option 2 & 3.
2.  You can test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that the lock may be set on.   Set up a spreadsheet and start dialing until you find the correct one to open it.   Testing 500 combinations each and every day will only take you about 5.5 years - per safe.
3.  You can have them opened by a trained safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith).   Cost will vary depending on where you are located, but you can probably expect to pay in the $1000 to $1500 per safe to have them opened, repaired and operational.

My advice would be to start looking for the combinations and/or contact the auction to see if they have any records.    Hopefully he didn't lock the combinations inside the safe - for safe keeping!

Sorry I wish the news was better, but in this case it's not.    Hopefully you will find them or remember some of the numbers.

If you opt for the DIY approach, by dialing all of the test combo's, the dialing sequence for the lock I would expect to find on these safes is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (about 90)

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)