Antique Safes/Hall safe 1860 -1870

Hall safe
Hall safe  

Hall safe inside
Hall safe inside  
The t handle on safe is bent and need to know how to get it off and
I need wheel pack for the back and don't know which one fits it
Thank you for any advise
Ps there is trim that goes around the door
Rosetts and trim

Hi Carl,

The date you are using is a "PATENT ISSUE" date, and NOT a manufacturing date.    As the locks used on this safe were used until their final days, the safe could have been made up to 1892 - don't make assumptions based on the patent dates.

As far as removing the handle, you have two choices.

1.  Remove the lock from the hole in the insulation, then you will be able to squeeze tools in to remove the square nut on the back of the handle shaft to remove the handle.    Reinstallation is going to be twice has hard.

2.  Remove the insulation mortar from the door to reveal the bolt work dam.    Carefully remove the dam as you will need it when you put everything back together.    After the dam has been removed you will have access to the bolt work and handle cam.   You will be able to remove the nut which secures the handle arbor to the cam and pull the handle from the door.

BE VERY CAREFUL in trying to straighten it.   Generally metal will only bend ONE time before breaking.   You will need to carefully heat it up to a point you can bend it WITHOUT stressing and breaking the handle.

Good luck.

As far as replacement wheel packs - sorry but these haven't been available for over 100 years.    There may be a few in someone's collection, however trying to get them to part with the lock is not going to be easy and/or cheap.     Second option would be to make the missing parts.     You will need to have access to a small machine shop (lathe and milling machine) or be VERY good with a drill press and hand tools.

I'm not sure what parts are missing, but I can possibly make them for you, if you don't have the capability for making it a DIY job, and/or if you don't have a friend with a machine shop.    Cost WILL be dependent on TIME and MATERIAL, and I WILL need the lock parts that you currently have to fit the new wheels to your lock.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada