Antique Safes/Hall Safe

Question
Hi - I have a Hall safe (marked Hall's Patent, April 3d, 1906) which has been in my family since the early 1930's and previously belonged to the U.S Aeronautical General Supply & Concentration Camp (located at Camp Morrison, Newport News, Virginia).  Family oral history has it bought at auction following WWI by my grandfather, and used with his tugboat firm.  The safe is about 21" by 22.5", and stands 32.5" high on iron wheels.  It retains the original Hall and government markings.

At some point, the lock was disassembled, and the wheels removed; only one wheel of the four wheel stack remains.  Otherwise the lock is complete and in excellent working order.
The interior door plate is missing.

I would like to restore the safe for use and for family.  Of primary importance is to locate (or fabricate) the missing wheels (3 needed).  While I have the expertise necessary to machine replacement brass wheels, I would prefer to find original wheels, if possible.  The wheels are 2.4" outside diameter, 1/8" thick, with a 7/8" bore; the lever slot appears to be standard across Hall safes (???).

Can you suggest a source for these parts?

I would also like to find a replacement interior door panel (12.5" x 17.5"), but this is a simpler part to reproduce.

Any suggestions or comments will be very much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Clarence,

I may have a lock though I'll need to see exactly what you have.     "IF" you have the capability to machine the wheels and spacers, that might be your best bet as a replacement lock, that no longer is readily available, isn't going to be cheap.

As far as "sources" for these old locks - there isn't one.    Any available locks are going to be in someone's collection, and/or as available lock parts for a safe companies individual use in repairing or rebuilding safes.    Generally they are not kept "for sale".

Similarly the replacement door panel, if you don't have the capability to shear a new piece, I have a company that can cut one two size out of pretty much what ever material you are looking for.

I also have a small machine shop and can make the wheels and spacers, but your time is possibly a lot less expensive than mine.

Hope that helps out.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)