Antique Safes/Marvin Safe to be removed

Question
Marvin Safe interior
Marvin Safe interior  

Marvin Safe interior door
Marvin Safe interior d  
Terry,

I have this Marvin safe on the second floor of a church rectory in Manhattan.  Our plan is to remove it from the site as it is no longer needed.  I am not sure if it has enough value that I could have someone pay me to take it or I should simply hire a rigging company to remove.  Any appraisers in NYC you might recommend if I should consider this option?

Thanks very much

Answer
Hi Kevin,

As your Marvin Safe is Pre 1892, it would be considered an antique safe, so it has value.

In general safe companies are not in the business of selling antique safes, which means - no, they would not pay you to take the safe away.

While it has value and they may elect to put it on their floor on sale, as it does not meet ANY current standards for Fire resistance, and the safe is NOT a burglary resistive safe.   It has no commercial or retail value.    As far as "appraisers" are concerned, most safe companies do not appraise antique safes, and especially if they are thinking about acquiring it, they are going to be biased against you.    NEVER get an appraisal from someone who may be interested in buying your item!!!!

There are several companies in your area that can handle moving the safe for you.    While Rigging companies should have the necessary equipment, they generally don't have the expertise for moving safes.

I have one company in Floral Park, about an hour away and two companies in downtown NYC.

Precision Lock & Safe
516-616-0854
Floral Park, NY

Empire Safe Company
212-684-2255
6 E. 39th St.
New York, NY  10016

Acme Safe Company
212-686-0668
214 W. 29th St.
New York, NY  10001

This gives you three sources in the area, hopefully one of them will be able to help you out.

If you desire an appraisal or evaluation of your safe, I would be more than happy to look at it for you.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)