Antique Safes/Milner safe

Hi, I have an old Milners 212 safe with key however it is missing the door handle, I was wondering if you would know where I could obtain one, I have looked everywhere?

Kind regards

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your question.  Try contacting A to Z Safe Warehouse.  They have hundreds of used safes and may well have a handle you can purchase.  However, there are many different Milner safes with 212 on the nameplate so you would need to send them a picture so they can see what sort of handle is required.  

Contact:  Chris Goldfinch
A to Z Safe Warehouse
00 44 (0)1268 566317

By the way, do you know what 212 stands for? It is the boiling point of water - 212 degrees F.  The walls of the safe are filled with sand, sawdust and alum crystals.  When alum is heated it converts most of its bulk to steam which damps down the sand and sawdust so the internal temperature of the safe will not exceed 212 F thereby preserving valuable paper documents.

If you found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it on

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others