Antique Safes/Mosler Night Depository

Question
Mosler ND Head
Mosler ND Head  
I have a customer that has a Mosler ND that leaks when it rains. I used to work for Mosler and there was an inherent problem with this model if I remember it has something to do with the door. Anyway they dont have the money to replace the head so are looking for a repair. Do you know anyone that may know what the fix is for this? My memory isnt that good. I have attached a s picture of the head. Thanks
John

Answer
Hi John,

there are a couple issues that may be happening depending on how the rain strikes the face or wall of the building.

If the rain is running DOWN the wall, it may simply be getting behind the escutcheon edge of the frame around the pull down chute.    Caulking around the head may seal it up and keep the water out.

If the rain is blowing at an angle, directly into the face of the chute, it may be getting around the edges of the pull down door / chute and getting into the body of the safe.    If the door has a rubber gasket which seals the chute, it may be worn out or missing, if not or if there is an edge going straight into that can't be sealed, then the alternative would be to install a roof edge or Plexiglas barrier several feet away to keep the rain off the unit.

Obviously if your customer is "whining" about money issues, they aren't really interested in solving the problem - sorry just my two cents!

Recommendations - caulk the area around the head to keep any water from running down the wall and into the unit.   Check the drop down door to see if it has a gasket, and/or repair it.    Observe the direction of the rain and wind to come up with other alternatives to keep the water off the building and/or head, to come up with solutions.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)